Biological Molecules – AS Material
- The study of biological molecules forms an important branch of biology known as molecular biology.
- The term macromolecule means giant molecule.
Saccharides or Carbohydrates are composed of only three elements: Hydrogen, Carbon and Oxygen. Chemical re-arrangements within carbohydrates provide organisms with a system used to give or store energy.
Some of the most important carbohydrates are:
- Glucose – energy source, monosaccharide
- Starch – energy store, polysaccharide, plants
- Glycogen – energy store, polysaccharide, animals
- Cellulose – cell wall, polysaccharide, plants
- Chitin – cell wall, polysaccharide, fungi
CONTINUE TO :